Skip to main content

Reasons Why I Take My Meds and Maybe You Should Too?

 


Me with my two prescriptions and my "Everybody Vs. Stigma" tee shirt





Hey Loves!

      Hope you are doing okay during this pandemic?! I wanted to share this blogpost on "reasons why I take my meds" in 2017 but it was too emotional for me. Now that I'm growing in my mental health advocacy, people are sharing with me their gratitude in my transparency. This causes me to want to blog even the more in sharing my journey with mental illness into mental wellness. I'm not sure if you are struggling with the idea of taking medication because you feel you don't need it. You are so afraid of what others will think of you and even a potential partner. You feel like you don't want to become "addicted" to the medication. You feel pill shamed and that it has something to do with not having enough faith in God as a Healer. You are so ashamed of your mental diagnosis and are so ashamed of taking medication. You do NOT want to be labeled as "CRAZY"! And the list goes on...

I want to encourage you...YOU ARE NOT ALONE!💚

I've been there...I know exactly where you are. I was in denial about my illness of having Bipolar Disorder with Psychosis, it can also be referenced in the same family as SchizoAffective Disorder. I was totally ashamed and I carried it heavily. I still have to remind myself at times that my purpose is to inform, educate and break the stigma. After my last hospitalization in July 2014, I promised myself, loved ones and God that I will take my meds and the only way I'm taking myself off is if God tells me and confirms it through my doctor. After many mental health challenges which led to many episodes,  nervous breakdowns and four psychiatric hospitalizations, I decided to give medication a true chance. I needed that last hospitalization. I needed time away from school and work to truly heal and learn how to manage my illness and recover. Even with all that, my psychiatrist told me after some years that she will take me off my medication after some experiences to see how I handle certain life challenges. But she is so glad to see how I'm progressing and she really hopes for the best with me. 

I experienced racy thoughts, anxiety, paranoia, hallucinations, social anxiety, psychosis (not in touch with reality), abnormal fears, and so much more! There are some battles that I have experienced, the world would label as "crazy" but I had no control over. I've experienced deliverance without being on meds and I highly recommend being on meds while receiving deliverance. The medication helps aid in the chemical imbalance. It makes a difference! I remember before taking my meds consistently like I am now, that I would be really moody at times, couldn't focus, experienced higher anxiety, panic attacks, and would snap on loved ones and even friends. It was a heartbreaking journey to get me to seek treatment and do my treatment properly and consistently. 

I was doing the not "claiming it". Everything holistic with diet, exercise and supplements. I was fasting and praying and declaring the word over my life and reading and listening to prayer books, especially when it came to healing. For 6 years, I tried that and I eventually got worse in my sickness of being off and on my medication. There were plenty of times I would get my medication and throw the whole bottle away. But after my last nervous breakdown, I decided to look at my illness in a different light. Not as a curse but as a  way to relate to others and heal. I remember when I was 16 years old asking God for a testimony to relate to others because I didn't feel like I went through enough in life and was shortly diagnosed with mental illness right after. Whew Jesus! Then in 2012, at 19 years old, 4 months before turning 20, God told me my purpose was to minister to those with mental illness on how to overcome. Thank God for a ministry and leaders  that believed in God using doctors and medicine to heal and the power of therapy. I have a wonderful therapist who helps me understand my diagnosis and walks with me through my inner healing journey. It is so needed. I've been taking my medication consistently since 2014, all the while still doing holistic practices with certain supplements and diet and exercise. I still fast, pray and declare God's word and healing power over my life and others. I still read and listen to prayer books. God's sovereignty is God's sovereignty. I've realized all the Hell I went through with the illness, was to bring HIM greater glory. My pain, and story for His glory. Jesus definitely paid it all! And even if my story doesn't make sense to you and it has been quite challenging for me breaking the stigma and paving the way with mental health, faith and more...His word came to pass in my life. 

It came to pass even when I thought it was going to happen differently. I thought I was going to be healed of Bipolar Disorder and meds free, then share my testimony on how I was healed and set free. Instead, my life turned out to be, let my struggles and scars, turn into a testimony and stars so that others won't feel alone in their journey. 

And as I grow, I can't regret this life experience even though it becomes very weary, tiresome, and very stretching of my faith in God. But He's literally been with me and He is with you as as well even if it doesn't feel like it (Joshua 1:9)! He is turning my pain into purpose and is doing the same for you. 

You may feel like I don't want to be part of the 1 in 5. But you are not alone. We are in this together. Seek professional help and treatment. Don't let anyone to shame you from taking your meds, getting therapy frequently and working through your struggles. You do not have to suffer in silence any longer. There are millions  who are in your shoes. We are breaking the stigma together! 


Even though my medication doesn't cure all, going to therapy and learning different therapy techniques has been definitely helpful. With the medication, this is the most stable I've ever been even with ups and downs that comes with Bipolar Disorder. In the past, I could literally feel the imbalance ...like something was chemically off in my mind and body. I would sit in the tub or stairs rocking back and forth with my arms wrapped around my legs because I was having tremors without the meds. I'm glad that is in the past and those days are behind me...but if that is where you are, I am praying for you! It is okay to seek professional help. Days will get better and brighter days are ahead!


I love you for real! Hang in there! God loves you more!


Love, 
xoxo,  Sheree B 



P.S. Be sure to purchase my three books on Amazon. Type in "Sheree Braswell" in the search bar. One day, I will update this blog to include everything in one place. If you can do that for me, email me @ shereebraswell@gmail.com! I would appreciate it.

Til Next Time... God bless! 




Comments

  1. This blog has helped me so much at times I do feel ashamed and think that if I stop taking my meds that I will be normal but the truth is and I know from experience that I won’t. Thank you for encouraging me to keep on getting the help that I need which is my meds and my therapist and people like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing!!! I am so proud of you and your journey towards mental wellness! We are in this together...you have encouraged me more than you know!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Story:Living with a Mental Illness

 Hello lovelies!! Am I the only one that didn't find out that May is mental health awareness month until towards the end?! When I saw it posted on a girl page, I immediately thought I have to blog my story and tell my readers that I've battled living with a mental illness. Since I found out maybe a couple of weeks ago about it being mental health awareness month, I was so full of different emotions, for this is still a sensitive area for me. Disclaimer: I am not an expert, I do not have all the answers concerning mental illness; I always advise doing your own research. However, I will share my experiences and what it was like living with a mental illness and being a Christian. Any negative comments will be deleted. There is someone out there looking for a story of hope and your remarks can make a person feel rejected and want to be isolated. I'm an aspiring mental health advocate and my hope is to bring people to Jesus.  Few facts from National Alliance on Mental

"Why I Chose to Get My Associates Degree Instead of my Bachelors this Year?"

Graduation Day Saturday, May 6, 2017         Hello loves! I'm so excited to announce that I graduated from Schoolcraft College with my Associates Degree in Communications with a 3.81 average!!!!! :) God is so faithful!!! It was nothing but God that pulled me through! I am so ever grateful for the love and support from family and friends that came through for me by their encouragement, prayers, and financially, as a gift for graduation...it means a ton to me (kisses and hugs to all of you).         Before and after I graduated, I got asked a lot by people, family and friends, "what's next"? But before I get into that, I want to answer the question that's in the title of this blog-post! I know some may have wondered, that are my Facebook friends like, "Didn't she used to go to Wayne State? What happened?" Well, yes I did go to Wayne State University in Detroit, Mi and a lot happened. After having two nervous break downs within 8 months apar

7 years since my last hospitalization in psychiatric care

     Hey Loves,      In the month of July, I shared on my Social Media my experiences with Bipolar and Dating, Mental Health and Education, and Mental Health and Ministry. I did Instastory posts on Instagram @sheree.p.braswell sharing my journey because I am not ready to blog or do a Youtube video fully about it but prayerfully one day I will. But I did want to write a blogpost about how it's been 7 years since my last hospitalization in psychiatric care! I've had four hospitalizations and ever since my last one in 2014, I realized that something was truly wrong with me that I had no control over. That I did have a mental illness and I needed to take care of my mental health. I've learned taking care of your mental health should be a priority just like your physical health should be and that it is just as important. I had to learn there is no shame in having a mental illness and I had to unlearn the myths and let go of the stigma around it. I had my ideas about mental illne

7 years of being Single and What I’ve Learned....

Photo cred: Hill Media Group Hey lovelies! Happy New Year!   So much has happened since I’ve last blogged on here. I received a grant from Detroit Wayne Mental Health Authority to advance my mental health advocacy, did a mental health first aid training for adults at my church, volunteered at Children’s Hospital with the hematology and oncology department, got accepted to Madonna University for my bachelors. Now i am currently working on a self esteem short book for young women. These past 7 months have been a time of pruning, getting closer to the Lord and strategizing. There were definitely some up and down moments but I’m so glad i made it!! Now that i updated you, the Lord really laid on my heart to blog before Valentine’s Day things I’ve learned in my 7 year time of being single. By the way I love how 7 is for completion! Woohoo  ! So here it go: Timing is everything . I learned that at times I wanted a relationship so badly but God was showing me things about m

Be Thankful!

  Ephesians 5:20  And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. NLT.       Today, may be the day where you spend time with your close relatives, chowing down on some delicious holiday cooking, and plus more! However, have you sat down and spoke to the Lord letting him know all the things you are thankful for--- at all times? The spirit of Thanksgiving should never come from in due season or in certain circumstances but should be given at all times.  Let your "thanks and giving" not be seasonal but at all times!   For it says in his Word,   Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 NLT (Sad but true at times)      Sadly, around the holiday season some give thanks to God on  Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter and then it's back to them being rooted in their own selfish motives, ambitions and dreams. For some, it may be a time where they sit and mourn