Skip to main content

Why I Checked Myself In...

 

Photo credit: VeryWell Mind


Hey Loves,

First, Happy NEW Year! lol It's been a while since I've blogged. The last time I blogged, I wrote about "If you love me, don't say the word "CRAZY"! I shared in that blogpost intimate experiences of me experiencing Bipolar Disorder with Psychosis (out of touch with reality). I am glad that it touched and informed those who read it but I felt I should wait and share those details in my bipolar memoir in the near future. So instead, I thought I would share more on why I checked myself in...

In 2021, I went through many losses and changes. Even with making changes to my health, eating right and exercising felt great and was glad to get some things in order but there were a lot of stressors that caused my mental health to turn for the worst. I experienced anxiety to the extreme. With both conditions, Bipolar Disorder and PCOS, you can experience severe anxiety and depression. It was so hard to know which one was working against me. 


With deaths back to back, and even a loved one becoming ill right before school started, it was beyond stressful. Even with all of that my therapy sessions ended abruptly while my therapist and I were working on some deep inner healing. I was taking a sociology of grief class that was very triggering because I had to unpack cumulative grief over the year and share my experiences. I felt so heavy. I did my normal routine with working out, prayer, reading the word and meditating. However, I had trouble sleeping and wasn’t able to get rest. I felt like I was having a bit of crying spells and emotionally distressed. 


The week of Thanksgiving 2021, I checked myself into psychiatric care. And I had a totally different outlook this time around. When I went I felt heard. I looked at myself as a patient and not as if I didn't need to be there like how I did 8 years ago when I was in denial about having mental illness. I was given some more coping mechanisms and I felt like God really cares about those who are struggling with mental health. I saw being in the hospital from 7 years ago as a form of self-care! Even though, I battled with like how did this happen and didn’t really want people to share their opinions about my hospitalization especially being a mental health advocate, people would look as if you shouldn't struggle in a sense but a mental health advocate is someone who had the bravery to share their story. See this article to know what it really means --->What Does It Mean to Be a Mental Health Advocate? What I did checking myself in was wisdom. I would encourage others when they are experiencing signs and symptoms to check in, so I took my own advice. 


Even with finishing the Fall 2021 semester with all A’s, I shared publicly about my hospitalization and my personal battles. And i I struggled with my thought life about it. Anxious thoughts began to return and it got to a point where I couldn’t control them. My cousin recommended I go seek help because even while I was trying to journal and my other rituals, it wasn’t helping. I went to COPE which is a community outreach psychiatric emergencies where you can speak with a therapist, social worker and psychiatrist. I found out one of my psych meds was causing the PCOS to become worst. So, I had to do a meds switch twice afterwards. 


But God wastes nothing. 



While hospitalized, I was able to be affirmed even the more by my psychiatrist that said to me,  "GOD DOES NOT CALL THE QUALIFIED. HE QUALIFIES THOSE HE CALLS.” That made me feel so good because I was asking God to speak to me through the doctors. The chaplain at the hospital helped me to not to feel bitter about my experience and having Bipolar Disorder and to look at the ways how having the illness made me a better person, like being more compassionate and caring. She helped me to look at it as a gift and not a curse. Because while I was there I was definitely experiencing tons of emotions.


Due to being hospitalized, things were able to get back on track with my therapist thanks to Detroit Wayne Integrated Health Network (DWIHN). I was featured in their blog as a success story. You can check it out here with more details: https://www.dwihn.org/Sheree-Braswell.id.4280.htm


I was also featured in a mental health advocacy video that was through DWIHN to spread awareness about current legislations trying to eliminate public mental health services and privatize Michigan insurance companies. Please watch the video and sign the petition if you’re a Michigan resident. The link is in the caption of the YouTube video. You can watch it --->Mental Health Advocacy Video


And more doors and opportunities have opened just by me being open and sharing about my experiences. Even though positive outcomes have happened and I’m extremeIy grateful,I struggled with my thought life about it all. I’ve received compliments about blogging and words of encouragement to keep doing what I’m doing but then there are backhand comments about how if they were me, they would wait until after I met someone. And that rang in my ear for a while, had me questioning my purpose, my blogging journey and pretty much everything. When God told me one of my purposes 10 years ago in 2012 was to encourage those with mental illness. 


As I share and un-peel layers of my mental health journey, I’m learning I can’t want or wait to feel validated in my purpose. God spoke it. I’m doing it. That’s it. At the end of the day, I answer to him and no one else. There are millions suffering in silence and wants to know that they are not alone in their struggles. That checking in even after being in remission for a while is not a failure. Having a diagnosis of mental illness is not a sign of failure. That there is no shame in having it and we can beat the stigma with it. That therapy and medication is just fine and having Jesus too is more than just fine! Jesus doesn’t see your faith as weak or not strong enough because you have an illness and because you seek treatment and take medication. Society would never say those things concerning someone’s faith or shame someone with diabetes or cancer for seeking treatment. We have to not allow them to do that to us with mental illness. Whether you’ve been hospitalized once or 20 times, I’ve learned the biggest things while in my last hospitalization, that even though me counting the years since my last hospitalization in 2014... that it was kind of toxic. Because sometimes healing isn’t always linear. Through this experience, I was able to witness the things I’ve blogged about on Things To Do For a Loved One in the Mental Hospital. I was able to see someone send flowers to a loved one that was a patient and I was able to witness an 18 year old Black girl share how her boyfriend encouraged her to check in. That brought tears in my eyes, honestly. In our group therapy, i had to let her know how it was so amazing to have such a supportive boyfriend. 


So, I want encourage someone that may be reading this today that seeking treatment is self-care and wisdom. And if you need to check-in, it is okay. You are not alone! 💚 Til Next Time...



Follow me on instagram @sheree.p.braswell 


Love always,

 

Sheree B 


Headshot by Detroit Wayne Integrated Health Network (DWIHN)



Comments

  1. Sheree, you are Beautiful, Brave and Powerful! Thank You for educating us through your Words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS! This is so AMAZING! I read this with my mom and she loved it as well! Keep spreading AWARENESS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice info, I am very thankful to you that you have shared this special information with us. I got some different kind of knowledge from your web page, and it is really helpful for everyone. Thanks for share it. Mental health services in Fresno, CA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Story:Living with a Mental Illness

 Hello lovelies!! Am I the only one that didn't find out that May is mental health awareness month until towards the end?! When I saw it posted on a girl page, I immediately thought I have to blog my story and tell my readers that I've battled living with a mental illness. Since I found out maybe a couple of weeks ago about it being mental health awareness month, I was so full of different emotions, for this is still a sensitive area for me. Disclaimer: I am not an expert, I do not have all the answers concerning mental illness; I always advise doing your own research. However, I will share my experiences and what it was like living with a mental illness and being a Christian. Any negative comments will be deleted. There is someone out there looking for a story of hope and your remarks can make a person feel rejected and want to be isolated. I'm an aspiring mental health advocate and my hope is to bring people to Jesus.  Few facts from National Alliance on Mental

"Why I Chose to Get My Associates Degree Instead of my Bachelors this Year?"

Graduation Day Saturday, May 6, 2017         Hello loves! I'm so excited to announce that I graduated from Schoolcraft College with my Associates Degree in Communications with a 3.81 average!!!!! :) God is so faithful!!! It was nothing but God that pulled me through! I am so ever grateful for the love and support from family and friends that came through for me by their encouragement, prayers, and financially, as a gift for graduation...it means a ton to me (kisses and hugs to all of you).         Before and after I graduated, I got asked a lot by people, family and friends, "what's next"? But before I get into that, I want to answer the question that's in the title of this blog-post! I know some may have wondered, that are my Facebook friends like, "Didn't she used to go to Wayne State? What happened?" Well, yes I did go to Wayne State University in Detroit, Mi and a lot happened. After having two nervous break downs within 8 months apar

7 years since my last hospitalization in psychiatric care

     Hey Loves,      In the month of July, I shared on my Social Media my experiences with Bipolar and Dating, Mental Health and Education, and Mental Health and Ministry. I did Instastory posts on Instagram @sheree.p.braswell sharing my journey because I am not ready to blog or do a Youtube video fully about it but prayerfully one day I will. But I did want to write a blogpost about how it's been 7 years since my last hospitalization in psychiatric care! I've had four hospitalizations and ever since my last one in 2014, I realized that something was truly wrong with me that I had no control over. That I did have a mental illness and I needed to take care of my mental health. I've learned taking care of your mental health should be a priority just like your physical health should be and that it is just as important. I had to learn there is no shame in having a mental illness and I had to unlearn the myths and let go of the stigma around it. I had my ideas about mental illne

7 years of being Single and What I’ve Learned....

Photo cred: Hill Media Group Hey lovelies! Happy New Year!   So much has happened since I’ve last blogged on here. I received a grant from Detroit Wayne Mental Health Authority to advance my mental health advocacy, did a mental health first aid training for adults at my church, volunteered at Children’s Hospital with the hematology and oncology department, got accepted to Madonna University for my bachelors. Now i am currently working on a self esteem short book for young women. These past 7 months have been a time of pruning, getting closer to the Lord and strategizing. There were definitely some up and down moments but I’m so glad i made it!! Now that i updated you, the Lord really laid on my heart to blog before Valentine’s Day things I’ve learned in my 7 year time of being single. By the way I love how 7 is for completion! Woohoo  ! So here it go: Timing is everything . I learned that at times I wanted a relationship so badly but God was showing me things about m

Be Thankful!

  Ephesians 5:20  And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. NLT.       Today, may be the day where you spend time with your close relatives, chowing down on some delicious holiday cooking, and plus more! However, have you sat down and spoke to the Lord letting him know all the things you are thankful for--- at all times? The spirit of Thanksgiving should never come from in due season or in certain circumstances but should be given at all times.  Let your "thanks and giving" not be seasonal but at all times!   For it says in his Word,   Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 NLT (Sad but true at times)      Sadly, around the holiday season some give thanks to God on  Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter and then it's back to them being rooted in their own selfish motives, ambitions and dreams. For some, it may be a time where they sit and mourn