Skip to main content

7 years of being Single and What I’ve Learned....





Photo cred: Hill Media Group


Hey lovelies! Happy New Year! 🎆🎊🎈 So much has happened since I’ve last blogged on here. I received a grant from Detroit Wayne Mental Health Authority to advance my mental health advocacy, did a mental health first aid training for adults at my church, volunteered at Children’s Hospital with the hematology and oncology department, got accepted to Madonna University for my bachelors. Now i am currently working on a self esteem short book for young women. These past 7 months have been a time of pruning, getting closer to the Lord and strategizing. There were definitely some up and down moments but I’m so glad i made it!! Now that i updated you, the Lord really laid on my heart to blog before Valentine’s Day things I’ve learned in my 7 year time of being single. By the way I love how 7 is for completion! Woohoo 🙌! So here it go:
  1. Timing is everything. I learned that at times I wanted a relationship so badly but God was showing me things about myself and how he wanted to heal me in a lot of areas! Sometimes we can put our demands on God and say RIGHT NOW, God! Not knowing there may be some spirits God wants to deliver us from that could easily destroy your marriage. During the time of the wait, I know God works on our hearts and molds us to be suitable spouses for our future mate. God also loves to build a relationship with us and in our time of waiting, I know by experience He loves to have the alone time with us. The quality time you share with God is priceless.
  2. Purpose. In these 7 years of singleness, i definitely discovered my purpose and walked in it. I got ordained and became open with my story with my mental health in my blog. I became active in ministry. I really started growing into the woman God created me to be. I strongly suggest you find out your purpose and what you are called to do. I would talk to so many married couples who later divorced and the spouse felt like they didn’t know who they were before they got married. They felt like they lost their identity in marriage and was trying to figure out who they were at the same time. Based on that, I felt like it was important to know who i was in Christ and my identity alone before I yoke up with anyone else.
  3. Wholeness. I remember when before i dated my ex, i prayed for a broken man.. i don’t know why. I thought maybe God could use me to help build him up. That prayer was a no no for me. That relationship brought forth a lot of brokenness in me and i promised God that i would get whole to the best of my ability and for the next person i decide to get serious with make him whole and secure in Christ and stable. I learned that two whole people coming together are better than two broken people.
  4. Stop Comparing. Yes, I struggled in this area trying to figure out what was the formula and how can God make it happen for me quickly. I had to realize that God was preparing me and my future mate. I had to learn that just because people were getting married and being in a serious relationship doesn't mean God paired them together. He showed me people run from their single season looking for Him in him or she (if you're a guy) so they settle on anything.
  5.  Don't settle. I've been told I'm picky but if I date you, I'm dating you for a purpose in marriage. I felt like my time was wasted in the past and that was my fault. I had discernment with my exes but I wanted a relationship more than trusting it. After my last relationship, I decided to trust that discernment when I met guys that could have been potential boyfriends within these seven years. I could easily tell if a guy would rather change what's underneath my pants than change my last name. I also have a team of accountability who can read men easily and let me know if they are any good or not. There's safety in wise counsel (Proverbs 11:14). Marriage is work and for a lifetime,  I don't want to marry out of convenience or loneliness; I want to marry for love and to build with. The negative emotions you feel about being single will be temporary than the regret of marrying someone you had no business marrying in the first place. Don't settle. Have a standard, God's standards.  
  6. God is not withholding any good thing from me. At first I felt at times God was torturing me. Prophets would come to me and tell me about my mate and I thought soon would mean being with him within a few months. My mentor would always send me the scripture Psalm 84:11 that God withholds no good thing from those who walk uprightly. That scripture convicted me because I wanted to make sure my relationship with God was/is in it's proper place by putting Him first and walking according to His will before I receive my blessing. I'm no where near perfect but I strive daily to walk in His perfection and repentance for I fall short of his glory daily. 
  7. Self-love. This where my short self-esteem book for girls comes from. Within these 7 years I grew a love and respect for Sheree. I realized where true confidence needed to come from and that was God, himself. I learned how to accept me flaws and all. I learned how to tell myself I was beautiful and to feel beautiful even when I wasn't told by anyone else, a man especially. I began to know my worth and value and appreciate me. I learned how to find good things about myself and how I wanted to attract someone who loves himself and God and would love me properly and effectively. I wanted to have an inner beauty worth emulating and a confidence that would attract a confident mate. I had to deal with my insecurities. To tell you I completely arrived, I would be lying. But by God's grace, I'm so much better than I have ever been and look forward to even more growth.
Hope this post encouraged you to continue to hold on to God's word and faithfulness, building a true relationship with Him and discovering all that you are created to be while single. You are worth the wait and your waiting is not in vain. Be encouraged! :)

Please Join me at my church God's House of Deliverance Church for our celebration of God's love in the month of February. Every Sunday is a special service at 11am! We will have a Bless the Singles Service on Sunday, February 11th, right before Valentine's Day! Please come and join us!

Address
13836 Puritan Ave
Detroit, Mi 48227

Service time: 11am

Hope to see you there!

Love,

Sheree B 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Story:Living with a Mental Illness

 Hello lovelies!! Am I the only one that didn't find out that May is mental health awareness month until towards the end?! When I saw it posted on a girl page, I immediately thought I have to blog my story and tell my readers that I've battled living with a mental illness. Since I found out maybe a couple of weeks ago about it being mental health awareness month, I was so full of different emotions, for this is still a sensitive area for me. Disclaimer: I am not an expert, I do not have all the answers concerning mental illness; I always advise doing your own research. However, I will share my experiences and what it was like living with a mental illness and being a Christian. Any negative comments will be deleted. There is someone out there looking for a story of hope and your remarks can make a person feel rejected and want to be isolated. I'm an aspiring mental health advocate and my hope is to bring people to Jesus.  Few facts from National Alliance on Mental

"Why I Chose to Get My Associates Degree Instead of my Bachelors this Year?"

Graduation Day Saturday, May 6, 2017         Hello loves! I'm so excited to announce that I graduated from Schoolcraft College with my Associates Degree in Communications with a 3.81 average!!!!! :) God is so faithful!!! It was nothing but God that pulled me through! I am so ever grateful for the love and support from family and friends that came through for me by their encouragement, prayers, and financially, as a gift for graduation...it means a ton to me (kisses and hugs to all of you).         Before and after I graduated, I got asked a lot by people, family and friends, "what's next"? But before I get into that, I want to answer the question that's in the title of this blog-post! I know some may have wondered, that are my Facebook friends like, "Didn't she used to go to Wayne State? What happened?" Well, yes I did go to Wayne State University in Detroit, Mi and a lot happened. After having two nervous break downs within 8 months apar

7 years since my last hospitalization in psychiatric care

     Hey Loves,      In the month of July, I shared on my Social Media my experiences with Bipolar and Dating, Mental Health and Education, and Mental Health and Ministry. I did Instastory posts on Instagram @sheree.p.braswell sharing my journey because I am not ready to blog or do a Youtube video fully about it but prayerfully one day I will. But I did want to write a blogpost about how it's been 7 years since my last hospitalization in psychiatric care! I've had four hospitalizations and ever since my last one in 2014, I realized that something was truly wrong with me that I had no control over. That I did have a mental illness and I needed to take care of my mental health. I've learned taking care of your mental health should be a priority just like your physical health should be and that it is just as important. I had to learn there is no shame in having a mental illness and I had to unlearn the myths and let go of the stigma around it. I had my ideas about mental illne

Be Thankful!

  Ephesians 5:20  And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. NLT.       Today, may be the day where you spend time with your close relatives, chowing down on some delicious holiday cooking, and plus more! However, have you sat down and spoke to the Lord letting him know all the things you are thankful for--- at all times? The spirit of Thanksgiving should never come from in due season or in certain circumstances but should be given at all times.  Let your "thanks and giving" not be seasonal but at all times!   For it says in his Word,   Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 NLT (Sad but true at times)      Sadly, around the holiday season some give thanks to God on  Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter and then it's back to them being rooted in their own selfish motives, ambitions and dreams. For some, it may be a time where they sit and mourn