Skip to main content

Cuffing Season: BUT I'm Struggling with Dating/Relationship Anxiety!

 


Hey Loves,

I want to touch on a topic that's been heavy on my heart and that is ANXIETY, especially dating and relationship anxiety. Anxiety is something I've struggled with for a very long time but I'm learning how to overcome. I have my good and bad days.  From social anxiety, to actually having panic attacks in the past and now noticing that myself and so many others struggles with dating/relationship anxiety. I believe I first started experiencing anxiety in middle school but mainly in high school with social anxiety. Then when I was diagnosed with mental illness at 16 years old, I felt the anxiety increase even the more because that's the age usually when you can start dating and get your parents "ok" to start having a relationship. I wore shame because of the illness so heavy. I couldn't explain what I was experiencing when it came to my symptoms. The fear-based thoughts, always thinking of the worst that can possibly happen, and learning how to grow beyond the social, dating and relationship anxiety I've experienced with men took time. And I honestly can say, I still haven't arrived yet. 

One thing I am noticing about anxiety is that it comes in different forms and attachment styles while dating and in relationships. You may experience anxious thoughts when you are triggered by your partner or the one you are dating. They may say something that reminds you of what your ex said or someone you dated before that left you in shambles. Instead of communicating to your partner or the person you are dating about it, you either try to sabotage the relationship so you can never experience the emotions you feel while triggered again. You put a wall around your heart and have your guard all the way up because you refuse to deal and heal from the relationship trauma you've experienced. You may run to old partners, situationships, and relationships that you were comfortable with but you know in your heart, they aren't the best for you. You may avoid dating and relationships altogether due to anxiety and keep delaying it by saying "you're working on your relationship with God and getting closer to Him" or "you don't have time or too busy to date" but in all honesty you are afraid to trust and love again because you feel you may get burned. You feel as though you have to be perfect to truly allow someone in. You may be experiencing negative thoughts and feel as though you will never have someone who will genuinely care, understand and unconditionally love you. 

I get it! I'm learning how to nip this in the bud now. I understand the pain of letting your guard down and being disappointed. Shoot, that and being disappointed over and over again. BUT I'm learning that I don't have to stay in disappointment. I don't have to replay in my mind and feel the aches in my heart when I was let down by a guy in my past. This is not an easy process. I'm working on meditating on what scripture says and fighting against the war in my mind when it comes to old thought patterns and soul ties (mental/emotional connection) with past men that I genuinely and deeply cared about. 

Here are some scriptures I am currently meditating on to help me overcome my sting from the past. As I press forward to welcome something new and healthy in my life, I am constantly pressing through anxious feelings.  Even while writing this blogpost, I'm a bit triggered in a sense because I've realized after meeting new guys after leaving the situationship that I don't have to beat myself up over how it went down. To make light of the situation and take it in as a learning experience. The perfectionist in me is like "couldn't be me, I would never allow myself to be in a situationship like that". The lighter part of me that I am working in therapy is like "have self-compassion Ree, you had some fun moments. You allowed yourself to open your heart and care for a guy deeply". 


My now Go-to's scriptures:

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Constantly getting attacked in your thought life in your healthy and thriving relationship and you feel a war within? This scripture helps us to see why....it happens to the singles, the ones who are in healthy relationships and marriages. 

Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

But this scripture lets us know that even though the anxious thoughts come, we do not have to entertain them. We can give them to Christ. We can cancel them out in Jesus name. We can renew our mind in the Word of God. 

And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.

We can meditate on good and positive things. We can speak good things about our dating experiences and relationships. We do not have to be pessimistic. We can declare great things. We do not have to internalize mama and daddy experiences, and that fourth time divorced auntie. We do not have to give into what statistics says but put your faith and trust in God. Because really HE'S all we got. Just because there are failed relationships, failed marriages, doesn't mean that God can't do something new if you've experienced that or witnessed that from others. I know the enemy would love to have a field day in your mind and make you feel like everyone cheats, play games, break hearts, will scam and  betray you but GOD. HE will show you something truly different. Put your faith in HIM, not man or in numbers.  Allow Him to mend your heart. I am with you in this journey, and you are not alone. We will get our healing together.

In this article, you will better understand what anxiety and social anxiety is and how to support a partner dealing with anxiety. (Link from Better Help about Relationship Anxiety)


Word for someone: You have been experiencing rejection and feeling inadequate for way too long but God longs to restore your mind and heart. He longs to heal the brokenness. He says you are not a reject, you are his Chosen One. He is calling you to come closer to Him like never before and believe that He will give you the desires of your heart. He wants to bring forth His very best in your life and have been pulling on your heart for the longest but you were looking for Him in a person. He wants you to know that He is turning your disappointments into reappointments and for you to stop expecting so much from people who are fickle. He wants to bless you beyond measures but is calling for your attention to put Him truly first. He says he loves you and never stopped loving you. Come to Him! 

If that word was for you, you are in my prayers! Keep me in your prayers!


Love you!

xoxo Sheree B

Me right before a blind date 💕



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Story:Living with a Mental Illness

 Hello lovelies!! Am I the only one that didn't find out that May is mental health awareness month until towards the end?! When I saw it posted on a girl page, I immediately thought I have to blog my story and tell my readers that I've battled living with a mental illness. Since I found out maybe a couple of weeks ago about it being mental health awareness month, I was so full of different emotions, for this is still a sensitive area for me. Disclaimer: I am not an expert, I do not have all the answers concerning mental illness; I always advise doing your own research. However, I will share my experiences and what it was like living with a mental illness and being a Christian. Any negative comments will be deleted. There is someone out there looking for a story of hope and your remarks can make a person feel rejected and want to be isolated. I'm an aspiring mental health advocate and my hope is to bring people to Jesus.  Few facts from National Alliance on Mental

"Why I Chose to Get My Associates Degree Instead of my Bachelors this Year?"

Graduation Day Saturday, May 6, 2017         Hello loves! I'm so excited to announce that I graduated from Schoolcraft College with my Associates Degree in Communications with a 3.81 average!!!!! :) God is so faithful!!! It was nothing but God that pulled me through! I am so ever grateful for the love and support from family and friends that came through for me by their encouragement, prayers, and financially, as a gift for graduation...it means a ton to me (kisses and hugs to all of you).         Before and after I graduated, I got asked a lot by people, family and friends, "what's next"? But before I get into that, I want to answer the question that's in the title of this blog-post! I know some may have wondered, that are my Facebook friends like, "Didn't she used to go to Wayne State? What happened?" Well, yes I did go to Wayne State University in Detroit, Mi and a lot happened. After having two nervous break downs within 8 months apar

7 years since my last hospitalization in psychiatric care

     Hey Loves,      In the month of July, I shared on my Social Media my experiences with Bipolar and Dating, Mental Health and Education, and Mental Health and Ministry. I did Instastory posts on Instagram @sheree.p.braswell sharing my journey because I am not ready to blog or do a Youtube video fully about it but prayerfully one day I will. But I did want to write a blogpost about how it's been 7 years since my last hospitalization in psychiatric care! I've had four hospitalizations and ever since my last one in 2014, I realized that something was truly wrong with me that I had no control over. That I did have a mental illness and I needed to take care of my mental health. I've learned taking care of your mental health should be a priority just like your physical health should be and that it is just as important. I had to learn there is no shame in having a mental illness and I had to unlearn the myths and let go of the stigma around it. I had my ideas about mental illne

7 years of being Single and What I’ve Learned....

Photo cred: Hill Media Group Hey lovelies! Happy New Year!   So much has happened since I’ve last blogged on here. I received a grant from Detroit Wayne Mental Health Authority to advance my mental health advocacy, did a mental health first aid training for adults at my church, volunteered at Children’s Hospital with the hematology and oncology department, got accepted to Madonna University for my bachelors. Now i am currently working on a self esteem short book for young women. These past 7 months have been a time of pruning, getting closer to the Lord and strategizing. There were definitely some up and down moments but I’m so glad i made it!! Now that i updated you, the Lord really laid on my heart to blog before Valentine’s Day things I’ve learned in my 7 year time of being single. By the way I love how 7 is for completion! Woohoo  ! So here it go: Timing is everything . I learned that at times I wanted a relationship so badly but God was showing me things about m

Be Thankful!

  Ephesians 5:20  And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. NLT.       Today, may be the day where you spend time with your close relatives, chowing down on some delicious holiday cooking, and plus more! However, have you sat down and spoke to the Lord letting him know all the things you are thankful for--- at all times? The spirit of Thanksgiving should never come from in due season or in certain circumstances but should be given at all times.  Let your "thanks and giving" not be seasonal but at all times!   For it says in his Word,   Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 NLT (Sad but true at times)      Sadly, around the holiday season some give thanks to God on  Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter and then it's back to them being rooted in their own selfish motives, ambitions and dreams. For some, it may be a time where they sit and mourn