Skip to main content

Experiencing Bitterness and Jealousy in your Singleness?

photo cred: @tiffanybackmeierphoto


        Hey Singles! So the Lord really led me to write about this topic that most singles can be in denial about, and that is their bitterness and jealousy towards other couples. Some of us have tried so hard as you scroll down your timeline on Instagram, Facebook and twitter to be happy for other couples but in the back of your mind, you're like "What about me, God?" or "What did he/she do to deserve to get him/her?" or "What's wrong with me...why am I still single?" Some of us have felt that being committed to God for a certain amount of time that we would reap a reward called marriage. Some of us have contemplated or have settled because we wanted so bad what others have. Some of you have friends and family members around you that are getting married and having babies, and you're like yet again another invitation or announcement and you're struggling to stay happy for them while you feel like you're in a dry place! I get it. You're getting older and almost hitting 40 or around the age where they would say "your clock is ticking". And it's getting hard! You want babies, you want love, you want sex, you want romance, you are ready for your life partner and you feel like singleness is becoming for the birds. But aye, even they find their partner and mate right?! lol jk. In all this, I get it. I've been single for 7 years and through that period of time there has been many nights of tears on my pillow, crying myself to sleep at night at times, refusing to settle, being asked😏😃 most recently since I've turned 26 (yes, I know I'm still young) but the questions are coming like when are you having children? Have you met someone? Have you tried online dating? Have you been going out to meet someone? lol and the answer is of course I desire and tried and no, I haven't met someone that I would like to possibly marry. In all this, I've watched close friends and family of mine settle into having families and get into serious relationships and whenever that demon jealousy or bitterness tries to creep in and settle, I REBUKE IT! I refuse to allow my state of singleness seem like a curse no matter how bad I desire marriage and children! Do you know you have authority to not entertain demons!? You don't have to entertain every thought that comes to mind when you're around other couples and families with babies. I'm glad I'm able to express my deep feelings to my close friends and family and they are there to pray, love, support and encourage me. I dare you to find someone who can do that for you. 

Photo cred: @tiffanybackmeierphoto


In the photos that I'm sharing on this blog are my cousin Pastor Maurice and his wife to be Dominique. Pastor Maurice and I have watched each other evolve in our journeys and he has prayed for me and have been my accountability partner in my singleness. I've watched the man of God grow and go from singleness to being an almost married man. I've watched God literally give him the desires of his heart and watch him pray and fast for his promise without wavering. Maurice's story is truly testament of God's faithfulness, healing, love and deliverance. He has truly inspired me in my singleness that God can give me exactly what I pray and ask for according to His perfect will. 

I want to encourage you as I encourage myself to REFOCUS! In each season of life there will be a different set of trials and tests that you will have to endure! Can you withstand to pass the tests during your singleness? Will you be still enough to figure out what makes YOU happy? Will you be still enough to enjoy your own company? Will you be still enough to be healed, delivered and set free? Behind the beautiful pictures you see are a big story that most couples may not feel led to share! So don't you dare be jealous or envious of things you can't see behind scenes like those who are fornicating, those who are cheating on each other, those who are heading towards divorce, those who are abusive to each other! Don't you dare be jealous of someone who prayed and fasted many years to make their marriage work and thrive! There are things going on in the works.

Be thankful for your portion and how God is writing your love story. Commit these scriptures to memory when you feel like you getting jelly (jealous) or bitter:

Psalm 37:1-5 New International Version (NIV)

Psalm 37

Of David.

Do not fret because of those who are evil
    or be envious of those who do wrong;
for like the grass they will soon wither,
    like green plants they will soon die away.
Trust in the Lord and do good;
    dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.
Take delight in the Lord,
    and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the Lord;
    trust in him and he will do this:

Matthew 6:33 New International Version (NIV)

33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Hebrews 11:6 New King James Version (NKJV)

But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Hebrews 12:14-16 New Living Translation (NLT)

A Call to Listen to God

14 Work at living in peace with everyone, and work at living a holy life, for those who are not holy will not see the Lord. 15 Look after each other so that none of you fails to receive the grace of God. Watch out that no poisonous root of bitterness grows up to trouble you, corrupting many.16 Make sure that no one is immoral or godless like Esau, who traded his birthright as the firstborn son for a single meal.

So stop tearing down others, singles and  be happy and prayerful for others. Pray for me, and know that I am praying for you!! We're in this together! 


Love yall!
xoxoxo

Comments

  1. 💗💗💗💗💗💗💗💗
    This article is a good read. I love your transparency and I hear your heart in every sentence. Keep writing these life giving blogs. Love it. I will share.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Story:Living with a Mental Illness

 Hello lovelies!! Am I the only one that didn't find out that May is mental health awareness month until towards the end?! When I saw it posted on a girl page, I immediately thought I have to blog my story and tell my readers that I've battled living with a mental illness. Since I found out maybe a couple of weeks ago about it being mental health awareness month, I was so full of different emotions, for this is still a sensitive area for me. Disclaimer: I am not an expert, I do not have all the answers concerning mental illness; I always advise doing your own research. However, I will share my experiences and what it was like living with a mental illness and being a Christian. Any negative comments will be deleted. There is someone out there looking for a story of hope and your remarks can make a person feel rejected and want to be isolated. I'm an aspiring mental health advocate and my hope is to bring people to Jesus.  Few facts from National Alliance on Mental

"Why I Chose to Get My Associates Degree Instead of my Bachelors this Year?"

Graduation Day Saturday, May 6, 2017         Hello loves! I'm so excited to announce that I graduated from Schoolcraft College with my Associates Degree in Communications with a 3.81 average!!!!! :) God is so faithful!!! It was nothing but God that pulled me through! I am so ever grateful for the love and support from family and friends that came through for me by their encouragement, prayers, and financially, as a gift for graduation...it means a ton to me (kisses and hugs to all of you).         Before and after I graduated, I got asked a lot by people, family and friends, "what's next"? But before I get into that, I want to answer the question that's in the title of this blog-post! I know some may have wondered, that are my Facebook friends like, "Didn't she used to go to Wayne State? What happened?" Well, yes I did go to Wayne State University in Detroit, Mi and a lot happened. After having two nervous break downs within 8 months apar

7 years since my last hospitalization in psychiatric care

     Hey Loves,      In the month of July, I shared on my Social Media my experiences with Bipolar and Dating, Mental Health and Education, and Mental Health and Ministry. I did Instastory posts on Instagram @sheree.p.braswell sharing my journey because I am not ready to blog or do a Youtube video fully about it but prayerfully one day I will. But I did want to write a blogpost about how it's been 7 years since my last hospitalization in psychiatric care! I've had four hospitalizations and ever since my last one in 2014, I realized that something was truly wrong with me that I had no control over. That I did have a mental illness and I needed to take care of my mental health. I've learned taking care of your mental health should be a priority just like your physical health should be and that it is just as important. I had to learn there is no shame in having a mental illness and I had to unlearn the myths and let go of the stigma around it. I had my ideas about mental illne

7 years of being Single and What I’ve Learned....

Photo cred: Hill Media Group Hey lovelies! Happy New Year!   So much has happened since I’ve last blogged on here. I received a grant from Detroit Wayne Mental Health Authority to advance my mental health advocacy, did a mental health first aid training for adults at my church, volunteered at Children’s Hospital with the hematology and oncology department, got accepted to Madonna University for my bachelors. Now i am currently working on a self esteem short book for young women. These past 7 months have been a time of pruning, getting closer to the Lord and strategizing. There were definitely some up and down moments but I’m so glad i made it!! Now that i updated you, the Lord really laid on my heart to blog before Valentine’s Day things I’ve learned in my 7 year time of being single. By the way I love how 7 is for completion! Woohoo  ! So here it go: Timing is everything . I learned that at times I wanted a relationship so badly but God was showing me things about m

Be Thankful!

  Ephesians 5:20  And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. NLT.       Today, may be the day where you spend time with your close relatives, chowing down on some delicious holiday cooking, and plus more! However, have you sat down and spoke to the Lord letting him know all the things you are thankful for--- at all times? The spirit of Thanksgiving should never come from in due season or in certain circumstances but should be given at all times.  Let your "thanks and giving" not be seasonal but at all times!   For it says in his Word,   Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 NLT (Sad but true at times)      Sadly, around the holiday season some give thanks to God on  Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter and then it's back to them being rooted in their own selfish motives, ambitions and dreams. For some, it may be a time where they sit and mourn