Skip to main content

HELP! My Loved One Won't Take their Meds!

Image result for meds
     First, before I blog on telling you about what to do to help your loved one take their medications, I want to encourage you by sharing my journey with me not taking my medications:
     In January 2017, it will be 8 years since I was diagnosed and hospitalized for the very first time with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. For 6 years, I took my medications on and off and had mental breakdowns, episodes, and 4 hospitalizations. I've tried everything, from making changes in my diet while on the meds to see if it would work,  I would fast and pray doing water only for a few days at a time to get me off my meds and altogether taking myself off my medications without my Doctor's consent. No any shape or form am I saying fasting is wrong but a water only fast is dangerous while on medications, you need food with it. Diet changes are good but you need to be taking your medication with it. And taking yourself  off your medication without your Doctor's consent is not the wisest decision. 
     My biggest reasons for not taking my medications were because of pride, shame, I didn't like the adjustment process on how it made me feel, weight gain (it varies on each person), and because I was in complete denial about having a mental illness, especially being diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. I disliked having to go to bed at a decent hour to get the rest I needed for me not to feel drowsy in the morning. I didn't want to feel I was different or like "those" people who had mental illnesses. I didn't want to be labeled as crazy. It took me years of lying to my parents about taking my medications and throwing them away after feeling like I was feeling better. God would show my mother in dreams of me having episodes and would plead with me to take my medications. Still, I was in denial and didn't want to accept my illness. I didn't realize my behavior was be abnormal; neither could I control it.But then I had a wake up call...
    In December 2013, I had an episode and tried taking my medications after 6 to 7 months of not taking it, and it wasn't working! My mom called my pastor Apostle Martina Wade-Hill to come over without me knowing and do deliverance. The deliverance session lasted for four hours. After that, I came to myself, I wasn't having any anxiety attacks or feeling paranoid. I was doing good for some months then Summer of 2014 came and I was back in school at Wayne State after taking a semester off to heal. BUT, my doctor had me on a medication called Saphris that was causing me to have bladder issues and I was embarrassed so I asked for a switch and then that switch  medication was causing my heart to race. So I immediately stopped taking it. The best thing to do is to call your Doctor or the nurse and ask for another switch; not  going without taking anything. Sooner than you know it, I was slipping into a depression around finals time. I've always had episodes and breakdowns around finals ever since High School. I didn't know how to manage my stress. I went back to the mental hospital July 2014 and stayed for about a week and half, maybe less. All I remember during this episode is that I was experiencing psychosis (not in touch with reality). I really thought Jesus had returned, and I was left behind, I thought my mother wasn't my mother...it was scary. While I was in the hospital it took a while for me to come back to myself with the new medications. It took me almost a year to heal with the medication mentally and physically. My parents and family didn't think I was going to come back to myself but they prayed and prayers of the righteous availeth much (James 5:16). My parents monitored me for a year and a half almost, giving me my medications morning and night. That experience of experiencing a psychotic episode so severe, and how slow it was to heal and come back, was my wake up call for me to stay on my medications until my Doctor states otherwise. Plus, I wasn't able to drive and go to school for almost a year! Whew! The tears of my mom also made me want to take my medication as well, even though while I wasn't on my medications,it made me insensitive to other people feelings. I didn't want to be a burden to my mom or make her worry and cry anymore.

     So to the person that is reading this, I know you may have cried many tears for your mom, dad, sibling, spouse or relative or even dear friend and it pains you inside to see your loved one suffer and be in denial about their illness or not want to manage their illness by taking their medication. I want to encourage you to never stop seeking GOD's face and praying for them. It's not by coincidence that that person is in your life. God has graced you to love them through it all. God doesn't want you to try to "fix" your loved one because you can't! As much as you want what's best for them, their destiny and outcome is in GOD's hands, but you can love, serve and most all pray for them to the best of your ability and help them to get the professional help they need. Do not be afraid to call 911 and have your loved one sent to the mental hospital. My last visit to the hospital was my 4th time going and it definitely was my wake up call and  the Doctor told me,"don't come back here." He didn't have to tell me twice. I'm on a mission to live my best life managing my Bipolar Disorder while inspiring and motivating others to manage their illness and take their medication! I want to encourage you that you aren't alone in this when it comes to dealing with a loved one that won't take their meds. My family definitely had their share of ups and downs with me but their consistent love and prayers help me get through to finally accepting my illness and to even doing what I'm doing now, supporting my mental health advocacy!

Here are ways to help your family member take the medicines:
  • Talk about medicines in a way that is meaningful to the person. For example, point out the reasons to take medication. Say, "Your medicines help quiet the voices you hear," or "Your medicines help you study and keep your grades up." Link taking the medicines with things that the person enjoys.
  • Give the person options about what to do if he or she wants to stop taking medicines. Talk with his or her health professional about what the options are. Make changes in the medicine routine only after consulting with the health professional. And keep records about these changes and their effects.
  • Ask how the person is doing with the medicine treatment. Say, "How many pills do you have left?" instead of "Are you taking your pills the way you should?"
  • Talk with the person about any side effects experienced from the medicines. Take any complaints seriously and see whether there is anything that you can do to help or that can be done differently.
  • Help plan for relapses even if your family member continues to take the medicines as prescribed. Relapses are part of the illness.
  • Accept the fact that some people will not take medicine as they should even with a lot of support. Do not tie your concern and caring to whether your loved one takes the medicines. For those who won't or are unable to take daily medicines, injections may be a good option. Discuss injections with your health professional to see whether they may be right for the person with schizophrenia.
If you need help encouraging your family member to take prescribed medicines, talk with a health professional who can tell you more about the expected results of taking the medicines, what side effects to look for, and how to manage them. *Information found on WebMd.  http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/tc/schizophrenia-encouraging-someone-to-take-the-medicines-topic-overview *
     Now, if you are reading this and you are that person that is not taking your medications, I want to have a heart to heart with you! I've been in your shoes and it definitely was a long journey for me. I know you may feel like this illness has ruined your life, but I want to encourage you to know this and say, who said that your illness is a death sentence? You are not your diagnosis. You are special, worthy to be loved, so valuable to God and His kingdom! There is nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about! There are millions around the world who has a mental disorder and they are waiting for you to walk in your purpose and inspire others who are dealing with the same battles of having a mental illness. You have a story to tell. Your illness doesn't define you and it doesn't make you weak. It makes you stronger! God has a beautiful plan for your life, being diagnosed wasn't meant to destroy your life, it was meant to push you closer to Him and grow in purpose! Change your perspective about being diagnosed and let go of pride and accept it. I can tell you to let go of pride because I've been there! When I accepted my mental disorder, is when I got my freedom and God has brought me so many good friends and a wonderful church home to support me! Goooo God's House of Deliverance Church! :) You managing your illness, going to therapy, seeing your psychiatrist, and taking your medications is going to bless your family and friends. They are going to be so happy and proud that you are taking care of yourself. If you are a husband or wife that is not taking your meds, you are going to notice your love grow deeper for your spouse and meeting their needs, wants and desires will become easier because you will be more stable once you take your meds consistently. Drugs, sex, alcohol, and isolation will never bring the closure that Jesus can bring. Jesus can free your mind from tormenting thoughts, It will take time. Healing is a process! No, medications will not fix you completely but it will aide in your healing process and balance you. You will have to learn in therapy how to manage your illness. GOD made Doctors and therapists to help and assist you in life. It's okay to receive professional help. God knows no one can replace Him in your life:)

Image result for take your meds



Be encouraged, my love! LOVE prevails and believes the best! There is so much I want to say but I'm going to give you the opportunity to email me for further support and encouragement! I'm praying for you! God bless you!

You can message me on the contact form or email me at shereebraswell@gmail.com!

Love,
Sheree B

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Story:Living with a Mental Illness

 Hello lovelies!! Am I the only one that didn't find out that May is mental health awareness month until towards the end?! When I saw it posted on a girl page, I immediately thought I have to blog my story and tell my readers that I've battled living with a mental illness. Since I found out maybe a couple of weeks ago about it being mental health awareness month, I was so full of different emotions, for this is still a sensitive area for me. Disclaimer: I am not an expert, I do not have all the answers concerning mental illness; I always advise doing your own research. However, I will share my experiences and what it was like living with a mental illness and being a Christian. Any negative comments will be deleted. There is someone out there looking for a story of hope and your remarks can make a person feel rejected and want to be isolated. I'm an aspiring mental health advocate and my hope is to bring people to Jesus.  Few facts from National Alliance on Mental

"Why I Chose to Get My Associates Degree Instead of my Bachelors this Year?"

Graduation Day Saturday, May 6, 2017         Hello loves! I'm so excited to announce that I graduated from Schoolcraft College with my Associates Degree in Communications with a 3.81 average!!!!! :) God is so faithful!!! It was nothing but God that pulled me through! I am so ever grateful for the love and support from family and friends that came through for me by their encouragement, prayers, and financially, as a gift for graduation...it means a ton to me (kisses and hugs to all of you).         Before and after I graduated, I got asked a lot by people, family and friends, "what's next"? But before I get into that, I want to answer the question that's in the title of this blog-post! I know some may have wondered, that are my Facebook friends like, "Didn't she used to go to Wayne State? What happened?" Well, yes I did go to Wayne State University in Detroit, Mi and a lot happened. After having two nervous break downs within 8 months apar

7 years since my last hospitalization in psychiatric care

     Hey Loves,      In the month of July, I shared on my Social Media my experiences with Bipolar and Dating, Mental Health and Education, and Mental Health and Ministry. I did Instastory posts on Instagram @sheree.p.braswell sharing my journey because I am not ready to blog or do a Youtube video fully about it but prayerfully one day I will. But I did want to write a blogpost about how it's been 7 years since my last hospitalization in psychiatric care! I've had four hospitalizations and ever since my last one in 2014, I realized that something was truly wrong with me that I had no control over. That I did have a mental illness and I needed to take care of my mental health. I've learned taking care of your mental health should be a priority just like your physical health should be and that it is just as important. I had to learn there is no shame in having a mental illness and I had to unlearn the myths and let go of the stigma around it. I had my ideas about mental illne

7 years of being Single and What I’ve Learned....

Photo cred: Hill Media Group Hey lovelies! Happy New Year!   So much has happened since I’ve last blogged on here. I received a grant from Detroit Wayne Mental Health Authority to advance my mental health advocacy, did a mental health first aid training for adults at my church, volunteered at Children’s Hospital with the hematology and oncology department, got accepted to Madonna University for my bachelors. Now i am currently working on a self esteem short book for young women. These past 7 months have been a time of pruning, getting closer to the Lord and strategizing. There were definitely some up and down moments but I’m so glad i made it!! Now that i updated you, the Lord really laid on my heart to blog before Valentine’s Day things I’ve learned in my 7 year time of being single. By the way I love how 7 is for completion! Woohoo  ! So here it go: Timing is everything . I learned that at times I wanted a relationship so badly but God was showing me things about m

Be Thankful!

  Ephesians 5:20  And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. NLT.       Today, may be the day where you spend time with your close relatives, chowing down on some delicious holiday cooking, and plus more! However, have you sat down and spoke to the Lord letting him know all the things you are thankful for--- at all times? The spirit of Thanksgiving should never come from in due season or in certain circumstances but should be given at all times.  Let your "thanks and giving" not be seasonal but at all times!   For it says in his Word,   Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 NLT (Sad but true at times)      Sadly, around the holiday season some give thanks to God on  Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter and then it's back to them being rooted in their own selfish motives, ambitions and dreams. For some, it may be a time where they sit and mourn